Its finally here!! Lord British’s Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Pre-Alpha! and to my surprise no NDA so I can share everything I experience with you! So, what will the up coming videos be covering? Seeing that this is Release 1 Pre-Alpha don’t expect too much, below is the things that are going to be tested, I will be covering some of this in a series of videos.. this stage of alpha is December 12 – December 14, 2013, so expect videos shortly after the 14th. PLEASE REMEMBER! everything you see in the upcoming videos are subject to change at anytime, and some of the things you will see, will not be complete, bugged, ect. So keep this in mind before passing judgment.
Being a former Ultima Online Fan, im looking forward to SotA, There are a lot of features that emulate Ultima Online to the point this feels like the release of Ultima Online 2.
RELEASE 1: December 12 – December 14, 2013 (The below information are excerpts from the full Release 1 Pre Alpha Notes: To read full notes click here
- Install / Patching system: Step one for you guys to play the game is for you to download the game and then patch the game. Since this is the first hands on impression of the product, it is critical.
- Login / Registration: Players should be able to log in using their existing accounts and if they have not yet registered, they should be intuitively led to the steps to register. NOTE: To thoroughly test login we will be kicking everyone off periodically and making them log back in to stress the servers. We will do our best to broadcast in game prior to when we do this.
- Character Creation: Players should be able to create and customize their character. Creation / Customization options for Release 1 will include: name, gender, head shape, skin tone, hair style, hair color, and eye color. NOTE: Character wipes will happen periodically prior to launch so name choice during these early releases is not final.
- Single Player Online: All public releases prior to commercial launch will be online only. For Release 1 and 2, it will be constrained to single player online only.
- First Town: Our first town, Owl’s Head will be open for exploration. This is important for testing purposes so we can better tune our performance metrics on real user machines. For Release 1, exiting the town will just funnel you back into the same town (anyone see Groundhog Day?)
- Conversation: Important that players converse with the townsfolk so we can start expanding the dialog system. As you talk to NPCs, we will be tracking your conversations and using them to add more content based on your input.
- Bag Inventory: This is a hot topic in the forums so we want to get it in your hands for feedback on preferences. Immersion vs. ease of use, let the battle begin!
- Equipment: Players will be provided with several chests full of “ph@t lootz” (armor, clothes, weapons, etc.) for trying on for size.
- House Claiming: Players will be able to select a house from the entire list of player houses (even Lord of the Manor!) for free so that we can test out the various size houses on the lots and allow players to test drive the various houses so they can have a better idea of which they ultimately want to own. NOTE: Character wipes will happen periodically prior to launch so lot choice during these early releases is not final.
- House Decorating: Chests full of furniture and decorative items will be provided so you can stress test the decoration system and try out various styles of interiors. Help us figure out all the ways you can break things! (Look forward to screenshot contests on this!)
- Metrics: All the while you are playing, we will be stress testing our metrics system. This system is critical to maintaining a balanced economy, tracking exploits, and gathering data to improve the experience.
- Combat is turned off – will be enabled in Release 4
- Crafting is turned off – will be enabled in Release 2
- Female Avatars can equip cloaks but they have no visuals
- Changing the house on a lot will clear out and delete currently placed decorations, there is a warning that will ask before clearing.
- The map will reset upon entering/leaving Owl’s Head (either through quitting or returning to login)
- Not all items are interact-able at this time (most notably the majority of items in NPC housing is currently locked in place)
- Some doors are only opened by using a switch (sometimes hidden)- currently there isn’t yet a visual accompanying a locked door, but there is a locked door sound that will play when attempting to open
- Some staircases and ramps will allow the player to walk off the sides, placing the player instantly on the ground
- If the Avatar is idle for an extended period of time (roughly 30 minutes or so) the game will auto-logout. In the future this may be accompanied by an idle warning msg.
- Dialogue is still in an early state and conversations are still being fleshed out – responses are still somewhat limited. We are logging player interactions and Release 2 will see considerable improvement.
- Line of sight for non-player characters is not implemented for Release 1 so you will be occasionally greeted by a character through a wall.
Here is a few videos made by the dev’s, just in case you have missed them, for more information on the game, and to preorder: Click here